Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Empty Nest…Onto Seattle Now

So, after two weeks, I finally made it home from South Carolina. The Columbia area was nice until USC started back and all I got was smack talk about the Razorbacks and Lou. Seriously…how can South Carolinians give me a hard time for being a HAWG when their mascot is a GAMECOCK? Just know I’d rather be a pig than a cock any day. We’ll see who is talking smack on November 8th!!!

The past week was super, crazy busy as we sold our house and moved into a condo about 2 miles down the road. I literally packed the entire house in 3 days and we moved all 3100 sq ft the next 3 days. Basically, we just threw everything in the condo garage, so I’ll have plenty to do over the next few weeks. I’m in Seattle now for work so it will have to wait at least a week! I’m sure my OCD will kick in and I’ll have it all done in 2 days flat…it just killed me to leave the condo unorganized and cluttered!

In the midst of the move, we did a media segment for Safe Routes to School on KATV Channel 7’s Good Morning Arkansas. With school starting back, it’s a perfect time to promote active commuting. Stephannie (my SRTS program coordinator) and I are on a statewide mission to encourage children to walk and/or bike to school. In addition, we’d like for adults to walk and/or bike to work. There are numerous health benefits (both physiological and psychological) associated with active commuting…and you get to enjoy the great outdoors. How cool is that? We also launched our Arkansas SRTS website last week…check it out at http://www.arsaferoutes.org

Shawdawggie is east bound and down to Jacksonville. Thanks to Gustav, he left a day earlier than scheduled. He ran into a lot of evacuation traffic around Birmingham and Atlanta. At least we got to hang out at Moondawg’s house on Saturday night and several FGSG graced us with their presence. And, I’ll just go ahead and put it out there…a certain Cuzette made her famously delicious Kahlua fudge brownies with chocolate sauce and ice cream to join them. OMG…they were yummy and I think everyone had at least one of these “cheat treats”.

Well, as the saying goes, change is inevitable. We’ve flown from one nest to another and this one is partial empty for the time being. It’s been an emotional year thus far. So much has happened since January and no one really knows what will happen tomorrow much less this time next year. I think I’ve experienced every emotion possible….from being happy about completing my doctorate, to being sad about Chris living in another time zone, to being motivated to fight cancer, reduce obesity, and improve the health of our world, to being truly joyful that I have such great friends and family and that I wake up each day with the ability to walk, talk, see, smell, hear, laugh, love, and exist for a purpose. I’m riding my bike, I’m running, I’m coping with change, I’m living the dream…so

As ODWonn would say…all rides are good,
And as Geo would say…life is good,
And as I say…it’s all good in the hood!

Thanks for checking in ~ more to come later!

Sleepless in Seattle,
SK

2 comments:

Ironman said...

Cuz, don't worry, we are all here for you. If you get lonely, come over to the house and we will eat Kahlua brownies until we get sick. We will ride our bikes all day and burn off the calories. The year will go by fast. Shawdog will be back before you know it.

Iron Maiden said...

Echo Ironman! We love you Jenn and you are more than welcome to come over and we can watch movies or play Yatzee or, yes, even eat Kahlua brownies all night. Maybe all of the above!