Monday, August 11, 2008

The Essence of LIVESTRONG


You just never know what each day of life will bring. Last Thursday, I experienced the essence of what it means to LIVE STRONG. I realized that the impact of pedaling across Iowa in support of cancer far exceeds the corn fields of that great state. As with most of life, I was circumstantially in the right place at the right time when someone needed something.

I attended a meeting at the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department, which is usually no big deal because my Safe Routes to School grant is funded by AHTD and once a quarter we provide an update/progress report to the program officer. But, on this particular day…it was a big deal. As with most state agencies, AHTD security requires your ID, a DNA sample, and your first born to proceed (not really, but sometimes it sure feels like it). Anyway, the security officer was a pleasant woman, probably in her early forties, with a contagious smile. I immediately noticed that she was wearing a LIVESTRONG wristband, but I also noticed it was very tattered and about to tear into. I told her she needed a new bracelet and that is when it happened…the essence of yellow, of hope, of faith, of never giving up, and always sharing.

In a positive, albeit cracking voice, she told me she put that wristband on the day her 17-year old son started his first treatment for Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Chills abound, I told her I had just returned from Iowa as part of Team LIVESTRONG. I told her I had pedaled 480+ miles with 175 other people who wanted to find a cure for cancer and eradicate the disease forever. I remembered that I had some wristbands at home and told her I’d bring her one the next time I visited. Then, without thinking, I just ripped off my wristband and gave it to her. She managed a “thank you” and her facial expression and “unsaid words” said it all. I scurried to my meeting knowing that I’d get to say a few more words to her when I returned my visitor’s badge.

My meeting with Steve went well as usual. We talked about upcoming Safe Routes events and discussed where the program was going next. The meeting ended and I headed back to the security desk. Adorned with a mostly new LIVESTRONG bracelet, she was eager to show me pictures of her son. He was handsome, had her smile, and seemed so full of life. I asked if he was receiving treatment at Arkansas Children’s Hospital and he is...third round now.

A mother, heavily concerned about her son’s future, was almost tearful at this point as was I. To divert teary dialogue, I wished her well and then quickly stepped outside. As I approached my car, I noticed the LIVESTRONG wristband magnet and I thought she needed that too. I went back inside to give her the car magnet and she said her son, Bobby, would be thrilled to hear my story of RAGBRAI with Team LIVESTRONG and Lance.

While Bobby is under the care of one of the best pediatric oncologists around, he still has a long road ahead. And when I think about that journey, I’m able to draw a perfect parallel. The essence of RAGBRAI is that you get up every day and just head down a long road, sometimes known (if you are a local) and sometimes not (mostly the case for me), until you come to the next stop. Similarly, the essence of LIVESTRONG is that you just remain steadfast in the face of whatever you may be presented with. I’ve heard LIVESTRONG stories that not only involve cancer, but also include living strong during weight loss, divorce, domestic abuse, etc. The bracelet I shared with the unassuming AHTD security officer has traveled many miles and has provided strength during some uncertain times lately. However, I know it will travel many more miles and will encounter additional difficulties while on her arm.

As the LAF proclaims, “everyone has a story”… I was circumstantially in the right place at the right time when someone needed something and this is yet another LIVESTRONG story that deserves to be told. Bobby, may God bless you and your family and please know that you are not alone in this fight!

Today, tomorrow, always ~ LIVESTRONG

SK